The first day of my life

This is the first day of my life. I officially completed my last day of work and started a life as a full time mother. I could not be happier. This evening, my co-workers threw me a going away party and the volunteer ushers asked me over and over again what I would be doing when we moved. I felt so vindicated in saying, "I'm going to stay home with our kids." I received a variety of reactions; everything from, "oh that's wonderful" to some blank stares to looks of bewilderment that I didn't have another job lined up for myself. It's this process of becoming. I'm sure it doesn't make sense to some people that I wouldn't have something else on the horizon. Thank goodness for the space to figure out what might be next.

Someone said to me last week, "we know where we are born, but we do not know where we will die." What's more fitting to where I am right now is "we know where we are, but we have no idea where we are going." A complete and total act of surrender this moving away.

In moving away from South Bend, we are physically moving, but there's also a metaphorical moving - a spiritual and emotional moving. Who we have been in this place will never exist again. We are in the process of becoming new people; a new family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multi-factorial

Restraint

This is what it's come to: I'm a grown woman and I hid my son's shoes on purpose.